Your heating and cooling system is the lifeblood of your home when it comes to keeping your family comfortable. However, when it’s 100 degrees having your air conditioner go out is the worst possible thing that could happen. To help make sure this doesn’t happen to you, here are a few warning signs to be on the lookout for.
Signs You Need Air Conditioner Repair
- Warm Air. In the middle of summer, the last thing you want to feel is warm air; however, if you’re noticing that your vents are putting out warmer air than they should it could be time to call the repairman. While it may just be low on freon, it could also point to a leak or something worse. The best course of action is to have a professional take a look.
- No Air. Another sign is weak air output or no air at all coming from the vents. If this is the case, an issue in the ducts could be a factor, or the units compressor may be starting to fail. In either case a professional is needed to determine the best course of action.
- Thermostat. If you’re unable to turn the unit on with your thermostat, or if it turns off on its own, it may signal a problem with the thermostat itself. An HVAC technician should be called to check out the system as the electrical components can be dangerous to try and fix yourself.
- Noises. If you are starting to hear any grinding, scraping, or high pitched whining coming from your unit, it may be a sign that a belt has come undone. While it may not seem like a huge deal, it actually can be a serious problem. Loose components can damage other parts of the unit and lead to larger problems in the end. Turn off the unit and call a technician ASAP.
- Bad Odors. Another sign that you need air conditioner repair is if you have started to smell something burning, or something musty. This could signal either an electrical issue or mold in the ventilation system. Both of these can not only be dangerous, but also harmful to your families health. If you have started to smell anything like this, turn off the unit and pick up the phone.
- Frequent Issues. If you are air conditioner repairs are starting to become more frequent, it could be a sign that it’s time to invest in a new unit altogether. Aging units will continue to experience more and more problems over time, despite our best attempts to keep them running. Sometimes it’s better to be safe than sorry and look at new air conditioner installation.
- Humidity. If your cooling system isn’t removing humidity it could also signify something wrong in the unit. An air conditioner should remove humidity from outside air while cooling it and venting it into your home, if it isn’t, not only can it be uncomfortable, but it could be a bigger issue with the system.
- Freon Leaks. If you are starting to notice moisture leaking from your machine, it could indicate a refrigerant leak. This is a serious hazard as freon is poisonous and if it is leaking, your whole family could be at risk. Call a technician immediately if you notice leaking water, or even ice build up inside or around your unit.
- Higher Bill. Another sign that you need air conditioner repair is an increase in your electrical bill. This could mean that your unit is having to run longer and harder to maintain the set temperature. Not only can this be costly for you, but it could be a sign that your system is on it’s way out, especially if it has to keep working overtime. To prevent a complete system failure, call a technician as soon as possible.