When it comes to home remodeling, the kitchen is the most popular room in the house. More than 10 million kitchens are remodeled each year and one in 10 households does an annual kitchen remodel. All together, it’s estimated that 76% of homeowners change the style of their kitchen during a renovation project.
It’s not hard to see why kitchen remodeling is so popular. For many Americans, the kitchen is the most popular room in the house; a place where families come together to share good food and good times.
When it comes to pulling off the perfect kitchen remodeling project, the sky is the limit. You can add new countertops, new flooring, new appliances and put in new cabinets among other things. There are endless amounts of kitchen design ideas out there to look at and draw inspiration from as you begin your remodeling project.
Though there are many kitchen design ideas you can choose from, you’ll also want to take care with your project. With that in mind, here are some tips to avoid getting burned by your kitchen remodel:
- Watch your spending: In 2018, the average cost of an American kitchen remodel was around $42,000. That’s just the average however. Before you begin your project, sit down, plan things out and decide how much you’re willing to spend on the whole deal. You may see some cool kitchen design ideas online, but they may be expensive and if you can’t afford to make those ideas into a reality, you might want to look for more affordable options.
Another thing you might want to do is take a look around your neighborhood and see what houses are being sold for. If you’re doing a kitchen remodel in the hopes of upping the value of your home, make your remodeling plans realistic.
- Look at trends: When it comes to kitchen design ideas and remodeling projects, things are always changing with the addition of improved technology. Having the latest and greatest tech in the kitchen is great—if you can afford it. If you can’t, there are more than likely some eco-friendly (and less expensive) options to choose from that will give your kitchen the reboot you’re looking for.
- Leave the plumbing alone: There’s a lot of work involved in a kitchen remodel, but you can save yourself time and money by leaving the plumbing right where it is. Moving your gas and water lines can be very, very costly, so if you’re on a budget, leave the plumbing alone.
- Don’t sleep on the cabinets: If you’re doing a kitchen remodel, one thing you might be considering is getting all new cabinets. If it’s in the budget, that might be a good idea, but you can also make use of the cabinets you already have. With a few simple steps, you can make existing cabinets look good as new. You can add new doors or drawer fronts; you can re-laminate the sides or the front; you can paint them (a professional spray paint job can really make them shine). In this way, you save yourself some money and make your cabinets look brand-spanking new.
- Get advice: It’s easy to search online for different kitchen design ideas, but it might be tough to know where to start, especially if you’re going this as a DIY project. One of the best things you can do is ask for advice. Seek out employees at your local home improvement store for tips and tricks; look online for videos on how to do different projects; call local kitchen remodeling contractors and ask for their advice too.
- Keep everything uniform: If new appliances are part of your kitchen remodel, it’s best not to mix and match. If the price is right, get appliances of the same brand. Many places offer deals on different appliance sets and it’ll be more user friendly instead of trying to keep track of several difference brands.
Armed with a little know-how, a can-do attitude and solid, reachable kitchen remodeling ideas, you can pull of the perfect remodel of your kitchen. You can turn it from drab to fab a lot easier than you may think and you don’t have to break the bank to do it.