Everything You Needed To Know About Carbon Monoxide Threats

Written by Master Builder on . Posted in Uncategorized

carbon monoxide detectionCarbon monoxide is a silent killer in the American home, which is what makes it so incredibly dangerous. This odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas is produced when fuels such as gasoline, diesel, and kerosene are incompletely combusted during the burning process.

During the winter months, your furnace, stove, space heater, grill, and water heater become possible sources of carbon monoxide poisoning if they’re no longer in good working condition.

Carbon monoxide can accumulate in any American home and pose a danger to your family. Fortunately, there are precautions you can take to help keep the dangers of this odorless gas out of your home.

Keep a carbon monoxide detector in your home
Unlike renters, it’s your responsibility to set up a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Carbon monoxide detectors are very similar to smoke alarms and help to monitor the air in your home.

Many homeowners believe a single detector is enough. However, for optimal carbon monoxide detection, it’s actually a good idea to have one carbon monoxide detector in every room of the home. Additionally, your carbon monoxide alarms should be tested at least once a month to ensure they’re working efficiently.

Protect your home with routine maintenance
Routine maintenance is necessary to keep both home appliances and technology in the best condition possible. However, it’s also necessary to help protect your home from the dangers of carbon monoxide leaks.

For instance, when home heating systems are damaged but you continue to run them you also run the risk of a carbon monoxide leak. Fortunately, heating contractors can perform routine maintenance on your HVAC system to ensure it’s in good shape.

Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
Perhaps just as important as carbon monoxide detection is detecting the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms are often described as flu-like and consist of fatigue, nausea, and headaches.

Those have been exposed to carbon monoxide for longer periods of time may experience headaches, disorientation, confusion, and drowsiness. And those who have been exposed to a large amount of the gas may experience, convulsions, coma, cardiorespiratory failure, and even death.

Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that needs to be monitored to protect yourself and your family. For more information on carbon monoxide detection and prevention, contact Pioneer Heating and Air today.