If you own a home, you probably care about rain gutter maintenance in theory but most of us do not sit around dwelling on our gutters’ health and happiness. That is really too bad because our roof and rain gutters on our homes are instrumental to protecting our house from water damage. When a gallon of water falls on our roof or into the rain gutters, it has the impact of a full right gallons of the liquid. If your home finds itself with gutters that are clogged and overflowing, you have hundreds of thousands of pounds on the roof. That is a lot of water. Gutter repair companies say that this is the reason that the top problem that causes water problems in a basement is a clogged gutter system.
- At least twice a year, gutter repair companies recommend that homeowners go out and do some inspecting, cleaning and preventative maintenance to keep their gutter systems healthy and happy. This should be done when the cold weather starts to turn warm and then when it turns back to cold. It is good to at least look them over for cracks, leaks or other problems with the gutters or downspouts so that you can get help early enough so that it will cost less to repair. If you wait too long, you can look a gutter replacement. No one wants that.
- First, make a safety plan. If you are a do it yourself kind of homeowner, it is important that you have a plan to tackle your gutter maintenance safely. They say “a failure to plan is a plan to fail” and that is very true when it comes to gutter maintenance. In fact, any time you are working on or near your roof, this is crucial. The main piece of safety equipment you need is the right ladder. Make sure it is tall enough and sturdy enough to let you do what you need to do.
- Get rid of any leaves or debris in them. This is the main thing that people need to do to their gutter systems but somehow is hard to do, say gutter repair companies. You can use your hand in a glove (another safety point), a small garden shovel or any other tool that will fit in and pull out all of the debris.
- Check the downspouts for blockages. When debris and leaves run through the gutters, it can end up in your downspouts. These are very important to keeping water from moving to your foundation so you are not done when your gutters are clear. You should also check them for the same problems and issues you look at your gutters for.
- Once everything is clear, run some water through and see how that works for you. This can be a great way to look for small leaks and cracks that can be undetectable to the naked eye. You also want to make sure the downspouts are doing their job of making the water move away from your house.
- Make any repairs you need to make. When you find problems, you need to fix them as quickly as you can. In the first place, say gutter repair companies, small problems with your gutters or downspouts are not going to go away on their own but will grow to be bigger problems that need more time, attention and money. Secondly, this is a task many people put off until they forget about it and then trouble strikes.
- There are professionals you can hire. There are gutter repair companies who can come out and clean, repair and replace your gutters if you need them to be replaced. They can also make the process a lot easier. This is a great solution if you just do not have the time to take care of all of that gutter maintenance on your own. Having a professional clean it will be cheaper than a major flood in your basement or having the gutters replaced.
While this is not a gutter maintenance tip if you are concerned or you have had a lot of problems you may want to consider replacing them with copper. They need little and last near,y forever.
Trackback from your site.